Medford NJ Medford NJ New Jersey
Medford NJ Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Verizon goes after Comcast with Fiber to the Premises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> What's New
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVaughan
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Verizon goes after Comcast with Fiber to the Premises Reply with quote

See http://www.medford-nj.com/News/Verizon-fiber-medford.htm

I can't wait. The trucks have been in my neighborhood all week, and I hear from the crews that I should be able to be connected by the summer.

5 times the bandwidth that Comcast offers for less money? Uhhh... let me think... OK! Sign me up!

This service should be more reliable as well. I don't know about the rest of you, but my Comcast service has not been so reliable. I've had to call them dozens of times, and it isn't easy to deal with the way they handle troubleshooting and service. Finally, they sent a crew out just before the Superbowl, and they found water in some of the connectors on the pole on my property. The water actually migrates into the coaxial cable too. Fiber optic connections should be more reliable.

The bandwidth should be more reliable, as each customer will connect to a router / switch. Comcast customers share a network segment with their neighbors, so if one or more neighbors are doing a lot of downloading, streaming video, etc., it reduces your available bandwidth. Of course, your mileage may vary, and we'll have to see how fast this Verizon FiOS service really is... but it should be very fast. We'll see.

You can bet that Internet service isn't the only thing that Verizon will offer. It is only a matter of time before they go head to head with Comcast by offering digital television. The fiber cable they pulled down my street had 24 fiber strands... one for every house on the street. The crew told me that the fiber cable pulled to the local distribution box on the pole down the street had 532 strands. The bandwidth of each strand should exceed the bandwidth of a coax cable easily. In other words, Verizon will have much more bandwidth to each home than Comcast. This means more channels, and/or higher video quality on each channel. Digital TV channels can use varying bitrates... some will have a higher quality picture than other channels. Higher bitrates means less compression, more detail, better motion, etc.

You can be sure that I'll be one of the first to sign up, and I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

Tom
TVaughan
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a letter via UPS today, notifying me that FIOS is available in my neighborhood. I signed up, and I'll let you know how it compares with Comcast once my service is hooked up (Sept 2nd).

Tom
TVaughan
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with the local manager who is in charge of installations. All parts of Medford that connect to the Marlton central office (those that have 856 area code) are now able to get FIOS, except any areas with underground services (like Kings Grant in Marlton). The rest of Medford will be available by Sept 29th, except areas with underground utilities.
tomdroptop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some information I located on FiOs

Verizon FiOS Internet Service, the industry's premier consumer broadband service, is now available to 16 New Jersey communities: East Hanover; Hanover, Harding, Morristown, Morris Township and Parsippany-Troy Hills in Morris County; Ewing, Hopewell and Pennington in Mercer County; Marlton and Medford in Burlington County; Emerson, New Milford, Oradell and River Edge in Bergen County; and Red Bank in Monmouth County. Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet Service can call 888-GET FIOS (888-438-3467) or visit Verizonís FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can contact their local Verizon business office or account manager to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business.
Renegade88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Comcast high speed internet for about 7 or 8 years now and I've been very satisfied with their product. Besides, I'd rather support a Philly company than a New York company.
Webmaster
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Fios TV is next Reply with quote

If Comcast Internet service works for you, who are we to argue? Personally, I have found Fios to be 100% reliable (compared to Comcast which would go offline or into a funk on a regular basis) and much much faster than Comcast. I'm paying less per month for much faster and much more reliable service. It's a no-brainer.

I'm not sure why people are even signing up for Comcast voice. Why would you want cable unreliability on your phone, for the same price as Verizon offers unlimited calling with much higher reliability?

Just wait until Verizon starts offering Fios TV. Thanks to a new state-wide franchise, Verizon doesn't have to go from town to town buying franchise agreements. They are making a multi-billion dollar investment in Fios, and I think it will pay off in spades.

Yes, Verizon has their corporate headquarters in NYC. But Verizon is the former Bell Atlantic, which came from AT&T, which was founded in NJ. Verizon employs 17,500 people in New Jersey. Verizon invested over $900 million in NJ last year. Verizon just opened a new 1.3 million square foot operations center on 135 acres in Basking Ridge, NJ. The new operations center has 1500 employees that were transferred from 26 other states.

Full disclosure - I don't work for Verizon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> What's New All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: