Medford NJ Medford NJ New Jersey
Medford NJ Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAXPAYERS BEWARE - What You Don’t Know IS Costing You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> Lenape Regional High School District
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webmaster
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpr370 - thanks for contributing this interesting report. If you read the report, however, it focuses on compensation of school administrators - not teachers. It highlights possible excessive compensation and benefits, and lax oversight by school boards and other government bodies (city councils, for instance). It is a very similar issue to the corporate governance, where corporate boards of directors sometimes fail to keep shareholder interests in mind as they award excessive compensation to officers. In other words, sometimes the folks who are in charge of overseeing the top administrators fail in their fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers. Sure, they want to hire and retain the best Superintendants and principals. But this is no excuse for hiding compensation in the form of lavish, unreported benefits, excessive retirement benefits or deferred compensation.

Most of the abuses cited in this report happened in North Jersey. Camden, Toms River, and Wall Township were also cited.

School boards are elected bodies. Anyone can run for a seat on a school board. Do you know who is on your school boards? Do you attend the public meetings of these boards? Who reports on what transpires at these meetings, and what was agreed to? Do we get the details, or just an executive summary? You and I have no one to blame but ourselves if we don't get involved.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for your comments, I appreciate your perspective. Now, just a few retorts. First, I didn’t mean to aim the statements directly at teachers – However, I think some need to be a bit more respectful of the comfortable environment we already provide, when asking for more $$$. I myself, am usually insulted. Frankly, I am in some pain, but generally okay, with putting out the $7800 a yr in taxes (of which much goes to school taxes), but then lie to me about how my money is being spent or ask for more, and we have troubles.

Second, let’s not get lost in details, I think the report, and issues, are bigger than the details. The big issue is School boards and District administration tend to be a bit sneaky with this stuff. Yes, I agree that this is a very similar issue to the corporate world (i.e., “governance, where corporate boards of directors sometimes fail to keep shareholder interests in mind as they award excessive compensation to officers.”). As a matter of fact, the Corp. world is probably worse….BUT, let’s stay on point, we talking about the schools (we can attack business later (ggg)). And schools are absolutely dealing with MY money. I further agree that we want “the best”, but sometimes the best wants too damn much money; And the more you pay, the more you will continue to pay. Like the housing bubble, it spirals out of control. We need to look at the total compensation package and disclosed openly to tax payers.

Next, as far as this abuse being cited in North Jersey – again, let’s not get lost in details – that just happens to be the random targets. And, if you think Medford/Med Lakes/Shamong/etc. is any different, you’re in denial. We just may be a bit more sophisticated about it. I am confident that this is a far reaching and repeated problem across the board in NJ.

On your last point of my awareness, and involvement, with the school board - believe me you - I am all over it. I walk the walk - and talk the talk. However, I amused at your “blame the victim” stance. My involvement is irrelevant, as would be yours. Do you really believe that one (or a just a few) streaming or ranting protestors to this abuse will correct a problem of this nature? Spare me. It doesn’t matter if I know who’s who, or vote, or go to every meeting… THIS IS A CULTURE OF DOING BUSINESS. It’s the way they have done business for a long time. To fix this, we need a huge shake down. Every citizen, every tax payer, big press…….the works.

I’m doing my part, I’m starting the fire, putting out the information to get people asking questions and being skeptical. Why I need you, and others to do, is take it seriously and keep up the momentum - don't just sign the check. And worse, don’t wait for some auditor to find it, after we have been milked dry. Rant over. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere do I suggest anything that could be construed as "blame the victim". Posting on Medford-NJ.com is getting involved. Of course, running this site is also a form of getting involved. But if you aren't talking to those who are making the decisions, they might not hear you. I can't promise that school board members, superintendents, or city council members read this forum (although I have heard that one or two do, and the site's traffic statistics tend to suggest that lots of residents check in here).

We can all agree that we want good schools, and that we want great teachers. I think we have excellent schools, and excellent teachers, by and large. We probably also agree that we want our money spent efficiently and effectively... not lavishly or unnecessarily. Right?

One of the solutions to the problem of lax oversight is to shine the light of day on what is going on, for all to see. If administrators can't defend their actions when they disclosed publicly, they will tend to not take those actions. Frankly, the same is true for township council.

The Courier Post has an article today about a bill pending in the NJ legislature aiming to improve oversight of school boards...
Quote:
Bills would reduce school officials' perks

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

TRENTON (AP) -- Residents would be entitled to more information about the salaries and benefits paid local school chiefs under legislation designed to eliminate hidden job perks that pad officials' pensions and cost taxpayers millions.

The bills, unveiled Tuesday by Republican Assemblymen Bill Baroni, Hamilton Township, Mercer County, and Kevin O'Toole, Cedar Grover, Essex County, come in response to a recent report by the State Commission of Investigation, which found dozens of school officials received job perks that added tens of thousands of dollars to their salaries.

The abuses included clothing allowances, life insurance policies and other perks, the report showed. One of the most common was allowing administrators to cash in unused sick and vacation time each year and at retirement. Some districts added cash stipends in the administrators' final years before retirement to boost their pensions.

One bill would increase oversight and disclosure requirements, including a mandatory Education Department review of all proposed contracts for top school officials. The second bill would limit supplemental compensation, such as the number of accumulated sick and vacation days administrators could cash out or carry over.

Democratic Assemblyman Michael Panter last month said he would introduce measures to enact the SCI's recommended reforms.

Steve Wollmer, a spokesman with the New Jersey Education Association, said the teachers' union supports efforts to curb school system abuses. But, he suggested that some benefits, such as a vacation buyback, may be part of an administrator's negotiated contact.

This might help.

Tom
Medfordliver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administrators in the district are overpaid... we moved out of medford because of the ridiculous taxes
jacobcak545

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nike air presto
Nike water shoes
Nike Air Max boots
Dolphins jersey
Mens orange Nike shoes
Pandora locket
Nike free trainer v8
Adidas Yeezy next release 2019
Outlet Nike
Nike wmns Air Max 2019
Grey and orange Yeezys
Next Yeezy 2019
Pandora sister charm
Nike Air Force 1 low black
Nike downshifter 7
Pandora new york
Pandora las vegas
Ultra Boost core black
Nike slip resistant shoes
Air Max 95 plus
Yankees jersey womens
Pandora charm 2020
Pandora bracelet
Boys Air Force 1
Pandora sale
Pandora ring sizes
Pandora shine
Air Max shoes
Air Force 1 high top
Louboutin sandals
Vapormax flyknit utility
Camo Lebrons
Raiders clothing
Nike tailwind
Adidas NMD og
Pandora princess Ring
Wheat Air Force 1
Pandora earrings sale
Cheap Air Max 2019
Nike shox nz mens
Yeezy shoes release date 2019
Adidas advantage sneaker
Nike outlet jordans
Air Max 97 wotherspoon
Dodgers clothing
Adidas Superstar
Indians team shop
Pandora locations
Nike walking shoes for women
Black and white Nike sneakers
Red Jordans men
Adidas Ultra Boost grey
Infant Air Max
Nike Air Max 95 black
Where can i buy Yeezys
Air Max plus tn
Pandora Charms Canada
Kings jersey
Camo Lebrons
New Lebrons 2018
Pandora birthstone earrings
Nike zoom fly review
Nike snkrs
Nike Air Force 1 sale
Nike air 7c
Nike black friday deals 2019
Pandora london
2019 Pandora club Charm
Browns jersey
Pandora anniversary charm
Steelers color rush jersey
Nike airmax 2019 junior
Pandora beads
Red Sole high heels
Nike Blazer mid Off White
Jordan 1 kids
Adidas graduate scheme 2019
Nike slides
Adidas Stan Smith black
Lebron 8
New Huaraches shoes 2019
Adidas NMD pharrell
Pandora spring 2019
Nike revolution
Nike Air Jordan 4
Nike zoom kd
NBA gear
2019 Yeezy v2
Nike air zoom
Jazz jersey
Pandora knot ring
Goyard tote
Nike playstation shoes
Pandora store near me
Asics tennis shoes mens
NMD cs1
Nike mariah
Huaraches sale
Nike wildhorse
NFL gear
Pandora charm
Nike Air Max uptempo
Nike outlet coupon
Pandora outlet store
Yankees shirt womens
New Air Force one
2019 Adidas tennis shoes
Kyrie Irving new shoes
Yeezy crepe boot
Retired Pandora charms
Off white Jordan 1s
Nike boys basketball shoes
Adidas shoes for women 2019
Pandora bangle
Custom Yankees jersey
Yellow Air Force 1
Asics gel venture 5 mens
Seahawks jersey
Vapormax blue
Pandora oxford street
Nike zoom structure 20
Steelers bumblebee jersey
Black heels with Red Soles
Nike free rn
Nike sb delta force
Pandora store
Nike air girls
Black Huaraches mens
Yeezy shoes 2019
Pandora usa
Nike Off White zoom fly
[url=https://www.newshoes2019.com/nike-men's-free-rn-2019_10686.html]Nike men's free rn 2019[/url]
[url=https://www.nikeshoess.us.org/nike-rn-2019-women's_8995.html]Nike rn 2019 women's[/url]
Nike presto extreme
Nike tech
New af1
jacobcak545

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louboutin Shoes
Nike Air Zoom Pulse
NFL Gear
Adidas Sneakers For Men
Louboutin Shoes
Red Bottoms Louboutin
Adidas Outlet
Nike Cortez Men
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Red Bottom Shoes For Women
Christian Louboutin
New Nike Shoes 2019
Lebrons Shoes
Adidas Yeezy
Balenciaga
Goyard Wallet
Pandora
Pandora Jewelry
MLB Baseball Jerseys
NMD Adidas
Nike Sneakers For Women
Nike Shoes
Nike Running Shoes For Men
Nike Shoes Cyber Monday
Pandora Bracelet Charms
Red Bottom Heels
Air Force Ones
Pandora Earrings
Kevin Durant Shoes
Adidas Stan Smith Sneakers
Air Force One Nike
Christian Louboutin Outlet
Yeezy Shoes
Pandora
Nike Sneaker
Lebron 17
Pandora Necklace For Women
Nike Cortez Men
Adidas Yeezy
Pandora Bracelets
Cheap NFL Jerseys
Nike Store
Nike Clearance Outlet
Christian Louboutin
Pandora
NFL Jerseys
MLB Fan Shop
Pandora Jewelry
Adidas NMD
Pandora Charms
Pandora Bracelet
Nike Air Max 270 Men
Mens Nike Shoes
Fjallraven Kanken
Air Jordan Retro
NHL Store
Nike Presto
Nike Shoes
Nike Sneakers For Men
Pandora
New Adidas Shoes
Pandora Jewelry
Nike Air Force 1 Men
Yeezy 500 Utility Black
Christian Louboutin Outlet
Pandora Bracelet Charms
Pandora Bracelets
Nike Outlet Store Online Shopping
Cheap Basketball Shoes
NBA Jerseys
Adidas Store
Nike Outlet
Pandora
Nike Sneakers
Adidas Superstar Shoes
Fjallraven Kanken
New Nike
Asics Running Shoes
New Nike Shoes 2019
Adidas Yeezy
Nike Clearance
Christian Louboutin Shoes Outlet
Yeezy Boost
Nike Free Run
Nike Shoes
Pandora Charms
Yeezy Boost 350
Adidas
MLB Store
Pandora Rings Official Site
Salvatore Ferragamo
Pandora Canada
Nike Clearance
NFL Jersey Sales
Pandora Jewelry Store
Nike Sneakers For Men
Nike Outlet Store
Nike Air Max 98
Pandora Jewelry
Jordan Retro 11
Ferragamo
Yeezys Boost 350 V2
NFL Fan Shop
Yeezys Shoes
Adidas Ultra Boost Women
Nike Metcon
Nike Epic React
NFL Jerseys
Nike Factory Store Online
Nike Store
MLB Shop Online
Red Bottom Shoes
Nike Factory Outlet
Fila Footwear
Nike Outlet
Lebron Shoes
Nike Shoes
Ultra Boost Adidas
Ultraboost
Pandora Charms Black Friday
Nike Factory Outlet
Pandora
Pandora Charms
Pandora
Puma Outlet
Pandora Outlet
Jordan Retro
Pandora Canada
Nike Running Shoes For Women
Air Max 720
Balenciaga
Pandora Outlet
Nike Outlet Online
Nike Factory Outlet Store Online
Valentino Shoes
Lebron 16
Pandora Earrings
Yeezy Sneakers
Fila Shoes For Women
Air Force 1 Low
Air Jordan Shoes
Christian Louboutin Heels
Retro Jordans
Nike Running Shoes For Men
Vans Shoes
Louboutin Heels
New Nike Air Max 2019
Yeezy Shoes
Nike Zoom
Kyrie Irving Shoes
Nike Outlet
Nike Basketball Shoes
Adidas NMD R1
Air Max 720
Adidas Yeezys
Lebron 16 Shoes
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Charms Outlet
Pandora Charms
Pandora Rings
Yeezy Boost 350 V2
Nike Shoes
Ferragamo Belts
Pandora Bracelets
NFL Shop
Kyrie Irving Sneakers
Nike Air Max 2019
Pandora Bracelets For Women
Nike Basketball Shoes
Nike Outlet
Nike Clearance Store
Jordans Shoes
Air Max 98
Huarache Shoes
Pandora Jewelry Outlet
Golden Goose
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
MLB Jerseys
NBA Shop
Asics Running Shoes
Nike Factory Outlet
Air Jordan Sneakers
Nike Shoes
Nike Shoes For Men
Pandora Rings
Nike Outlet Store Online Shopping
Womens Nike Shoes
Nike Factory
Nike Outlet Store
Nike Air Max 95
Nike Air Max
Charms Pandora
Asics Shoes
New Nike Shoes
Nike Outlet Store Online
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> Lenape Regional High School District All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: