Medford NJ Medford NJ New Jersey
Medford NJ Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Route 70 be widened?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> Roads and Traffic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Vaughan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Should Route 70 be widened? Reply with quote

Should Route 70 be widened? Does it make any sense that Route 70 is 3 lanes wide in Cherry Hill, 2 lanes wide in Marlton, 1 lane wide between Marlton and Medford, 2 lanes wide through Medford, going back down to 1 lane wide? This is the major east-west highway through the southern New Jersey! There are traffic lights everywhere... it seems that your average speed down Route 70 is 5 miles an hour during rush hour, due to all the stopping and back-up. This also causes delays to commuters who have to cross Route 70, as anyone who uses Hartford Road knows.

Apparently, the issue was studied for the past decade, and the DOT is reaching the conclusion that route 70 needs to be widened.

In my opinion, it should be widened all the way from Route 72 to Philadelphia. And while they are at it... how about Route 73, and the Marlton Bypass? Wouldn't it be nice if the state could find the money to put overpasses in at a few of these major intersections (Church Rd. and Route 73, for instance)?

OK... there is my rant to get things started. Your comments are welcomed.

Tom Vaughan
Joedints

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should Route 70 be widened? Reply with quote

Tom Vaughan wrote:
Should Route 70 be widened? Does it make any sense that Route 70 is 3 lanes wide in Cherry Hill, 2 lanes wide in Marlton, 1 lane wide between Marlton and Medford, 2 lanes wide through Medford, going back down to 1 lane wide? This is the major east-west highway through the southern New Jersey! There are traffic lights everywhere... it seems that your average speed down Route 70 is 5 miles an hour during rush hour, due to all the stopping and back-up. This also causes delays to commuters who have to cross Route 70, as anyone who uses Hartford Road knows.

Apparently, the issue was studied for the past decade, and the DOT is reaching the conclusion that route 70 needs to be widened.

In my opinion, it should be widened all the way from Route 72 to Philadelphia. And while they are at it... how about Route 73, and the Marlton Bypass? Wouldn't it be nice if the state could find the money to put overpasses in at a few of these major intersections (Church Rd. and Route 73, for instance)?

OK... there is my rant to get things started. Your comments are welcomed.

Tom Vaughan

Don't worry Tom... As soon as they start construction of the giant housing, strip mall, and large box store project that runs from Eayerstown Rd to Skeet road they will have to widened... Have to make room for the new turning jughandles also... This project will be on both side of Rt 70 too.... The rt 70 Wawa, will sort of be in the parking lot of the proposed home depot or target or whom ever paid the most money for the site...

Anyone remember the flyers the current township officals sent to everone bragging how they STOPPED that Samost project from happening.... All the really happened is Joe Samost sold the project to 2 other developers, and it going up just as planned, if fact the plans that were submitted hardly even changed... Once the NJ Dam saftey is satisfied with the planned dam that is within it, to project is pretty much a go...
Webmaster
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe... how's it going? Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Sure... Route 70 needs to be widened... as does Route 73. But will it be widened? It takes years, as you know, to accomplish anything in this state. Engineering, environmental work, public comments, etc. etc. Political gridlock leads to traffic gridlock. I doubt Route 70 will be widened within the next decade.
Joedints

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster wrote:
Hey Joe... how's it going? Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Sure... Route 70 needs to be widened... as does Route 73. But will it be widened? It takes years, as you know, to accomplish anything in this state. Engineering, environmental work, public comments, etc. etc. Political gridlock leads to traffic gridlock. I doubt Route 70 will be widened within the next decade.

As of now the dam needed to be installed to support the development on both side of Rt 70 is in a redesign phase. The redesign is due to specification changes brought on by the flood a couple years ago. Once that design is done, it will be constructed and then construction will be started on the housing and retail stores on both side of 70.... You can say I have inside info about this project. I also have access to the plans along the southern side of 70 and have seen and used the northern side plans too......[/img]
cdewsad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longchamp Sac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Medford NJ New Jersey Forum Index -> Roads and Traffic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: